Greetings to all! It’s been a while I was bit away from the blog. I was thinking what should I write next on my next post. so since few weeks many of us especially sri lankan crowd used talk more about sony than past.
so let’s see why they talked about sony, that’s because of the Sony Alpha Festival which was held at waters edge. As this was sponsored and organized by Sony company it has been went all over the media and social networks. As well I was participated as a guest Speaker and it’s an honour to be a part of that wonderful event .I must mention that Award winning photographer Mr. Henry Rajakaruna and Kushantha Hewapathirana, Shantha Gunarathne , Meesha Gunawardena, Dimitri Crusz Also been a part of this event.
so the famous war between Canon & Nikon, sony also entering to the game as 3rd person after the Sony Alpha Festival. We all know that sony was famous for Tv’s and other electronics more than cameras, but now they are in the market and it has been a huge challenge to both canon & nikon companies.
but just because they build cameras can’t make a difference in the market there must be something special on them, so now I;m gonna talk about it.
- Sony Mirrorless Technology.
when talk about Sony, the Mirrorless are the first thing comes to our mind but they DSLR camera too.As well it’s not the only company which build mirrorless cameras.
The name ” Mirrorless ” it self got the meaning of what is a mirrorless, The technology behind it is not much complicated asA mirrorless camera uses an image sensor to provide an image to the electronic viewfinder. this is why we have live/ real time setting preview on mirrorless cameras ( except Long Exposures/HDR)
- Auto Focus සහ Focus points
When we talk about this Auto Focus Speed and the Focus Points sony mirrorless cameras are way ahead from DSLRs. For an example when compare Sony A6300 & Nikon D5500, Nikon has 39 focus points ( 9 cross points ) while sony A6300 got 425 focus points. As well when compare canon 5D Mark IV & Sony A7R II , The Canon got 61 Focus Points while Sony got focus 399 focus points. that’s awesome right ? 😀
- EVF – Electronic Viewfinder
This one of my favorite option when talk about Sony Mirrorless, as it’s always nice to the output image as preview, so I know what I am getting after the shutter button pressed. Specially it’s not getting confused with the image in camera and when you see a large screen like when use DSLR.
As well this is very usefull when do portraits, as you don’t want to try test shots always when you change the settings. you can always keep the eye on viewfinder.
- Image Stabilization – 50 Axis Technology
As Sony says this is the world’s first full frame camera with 5-axis image stabilisation, but Olympus also has a 5-axis image-stabilisation system and also there are commercial connections between the companies. but Sony is aware of the technology in the a7 II as it is completely unconnected with Olympus’s.
As well when it’s come to canon they call it IS and when it comes to nikon they call it VR. but the all of them applied with their own lenses. so when it comes to sony the IS technology comes with the sensor and the advantage of that is you can use any lense and the sensor will support it without any hesitation.
This is also very useful when shooting handheld and especially for the videographers.
- Low Light performance
This one if the most important matter when we talk about sony. So far sony has beaten more Flagship cameras from different brands. we all know that Canon is not good in low light and that’s only nikon who can at least come closer to sony at the moment. but the same time that’s sony who build sensors for nikon.
you can have a great idea after watch this Video.
SInce this post getting longer and longer, and with the time also limited at the moment I will right other advantages below with a very short note
- Dynamic Range – This is one of the main reason to when talk about sony As sony is giving huge area of highlight & Shadows, and there is no camera to beat sony sensor. you can say that Nikon D810 has more scores in DXO , but as mentioned earlier that sensor also built by Sony.
- Eye Autofocusing – This is very useful for those who does portraits. The focus point of the camera keep moving with the subject when moving and you don’t want to press other buttons while shooting.
- Shooting Speed – Sony Mirrorless are way ahead from any camera when it comes to Shooting speed.
- Apps installing – There is no DSLR where we can install apps from the official site, and there are various of applications available on site and you can simply tweak your mirrorless
- Size & Weight – Sony mirrorless are really compact & and handy as well not weight so much.
So after all advantages I must say that there’s are some disadvantages also in Sony, but there are solutions too. .
- Battery Life – The battery life is bit shorter when compare to DSLR. the reason is the sony mirrorless camera is fully digital and especially when we shooting screen doesn’t switched off, it just going black out.so for me never been a big issue as it support USB mini cable and it charge very fast even when I connected to my macbook. as well you can use portable battery packs and you can even use a car kit charger for this.
- Single Card Slot – since the sony mirrorless camera is very compact they got no space for another card slot. so what I do is I use high speed memory cards like Lexar 32GB Class 10 Card or SanDisk 32GB Extreme card with the mentioned 32 GB.
- Price Tag of the Lenses – Agree that Sony Zeiss lense are comes the latest technology but it’s bit expensive in the market, yet we have converters like Metabone, Sigma to use others lenses on sony mounts. as well there are so many third party lenses available today and we don’t really need to stick to one brand which comes bit cheap.
so the above information I wrote came after using sony camera’s since a year, if there is anything missing or if you feel anything is wrong you can always write them under in the comment section.
at the same time I will appreciate your support to write blogs and thanks for encouraging me to do more. Don’t forget to follow my Facebook & Instagram and you can subscribe to my blog by filling below form as I’m gonna bring some giveaways and amazing thing in future.
“Sony is the Future”